You will need an official SuUB Bremen library card to use our services.
Once you have completed our online application process, you can collect your card directly from the lending desk at the Central Library, the Engineering and Social Sciences Library, the Economics and Nautical Sciences Library, or our branch library in Bremerhaven. Your data will stay online for four weeks - if you do not collect the library card within this time period, the data has to be re-entered online.
Pupils, students and employees of Bremen's higher learning institutions enjoy free library access. All other users are charged an annual service fee of €20 (reduced: €10). For more details, please see our fee schedule.
Library cards are valid for 12 calendar months. You can renew your library card at the lending desk at the Central Library or any of our branch libraries.
- valid ID (Personalausweis), a residence permit or your passport and confirmation of your place of abode from the registry office (Meldebestätigung)
Autumn 2021: Due to the long waiting times in the registry offices, we currently also accept your contract of tenancy. You will receive a temporary library card.
- students: your student ID or current "Semesterticket"
- employees of Bremen's universities: current university ID or confirmation of your employment status (Dienstbescheinigung)
- Library card renewals: Students and employees of Bremen universities may renew their library card online. Please email a scan or photo of the required certificate and your library card number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Young adults under the age of 18: a declaration of parental consent, school ID or letter of confirmation (Schulbescheinigung) if applicable
If you lose your library card, please contact the lending desk immediately to have your account temporarily suspended.
Replacement cards cost €5.